- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and sliced thin (about 1 ½ large carrots)
- 1 cup celery, sliced thin (about 2 stalks)
- 1 cup sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced small (about 1 medium onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 64 ounces (8 cups) low-sodium chicken broth, plus more if desired.
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme ( or ½ tsp dried thyme)
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp pepper, or to taste
- 12 ounces whole wheat egg noodles
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (use store-bought rotisserie chicken to save time; or roast or cook your own chicken in a slow cooker).
- 3 to 4 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped.
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, optional
- Salt, to taste
- In a large crock pot, added oil and heat over medium-high heat to warm.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, and sauté for about 7 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften, stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bring to a boil. Allow mixture to boil gently for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are for-tender.
- Add the egg noodles and boil mixture for about 10 minutes, or until noodles are soft and cooked through. If liquid level lowers, add more broth or water.
- Add the chicken, parsley, optional lemon juice, and boil 1 to 2 minutes or until chicken is warmed through. Taste soup and salt to taste.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
Author: Averie Cooks